Monday 11 June 2012

Supporto-Gal

Superheroes have been on my mind lately.  Went to see Avengers Assemble last week and loved it.  Leaving aside my unfeasible adoration of Robert Downey Jr for a moment, it gives a real flavour of old-fashioned comic book love.  Plenty of characters to engage with and enjoy without the overwhelming angsty-iness of some recent offerings in the genre.

While I'm happy to accept that the price of super-powers is high and the way difficult, it's hard to really empathise with someone whimpering for two hours about their burdensome abilities.  Get a grip.  You can fly.  Or create energy fields.  Or move faster than sound.  Or whatever.  Please, just accept your inner awesome and get on with it.

Avengers assembling
To their infinite credit, the Avengers do just that and a thoroughly enjoyable ride it is too.

That may be the mother in me talking.  We're heading into the final week of GCSE hell here to be followed by the official ending of compulsory education.  Taa-daa.  The result is that I'm turning into a kind of superhero myself.  Please meet Supporto-Gal.  She is the inner superhero of every parent everywhere.  Male or female.  Although I suspect she might be more of a female phenomenon. 

Supporto-Gal is the inner you that leaps out and multi-tasks when your brain really isn't up to it.  Personally, I'm always happy when she takes over as confronted with lists, I collapse into an angsty heap.  Not so Supporto-Gal.

She juggles lesson plans, toilet paper fairy duties, cleaning up of catsick, finding of missing books, suggestions for films to watch, provision of items of clothing that need to be washed right now as they need to be worn in ten minutes, making of appointments and all-purpose taxi services with grace and ease.  She remembers to pay for piano lessons, books dental hygenists, unblocks rain-filled drains, mows the lawn, remembers to change bed clothes and hunts down the one working pen in the house with a smile on her face.

Supporto-Gal - accepting her inner awesome at a home near you.

12 comments:

  1. They should make a Supporto-Gal movie! (:

    I also saw the Avengers and loved it! I only wish I could have seen it in English. I think a lot of the one-liners were lost in the French translation. But I will make it a point to see it in English when it comes out on DVD. And I though the Hulk was great, very unexpected. (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't he though? I was really expecting not to like Hulk (he's dull in large doses), but Mark Ruffalo really did a nice job.

      Delete
  2. Looks like you've got a pitch to Marvel right there. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You reckon?

      Maybe over the summer holidays ...

      Delete
  3. Have not seen the Avengers. I'm probably the last person in America who hasn't. I'm waiting for Batman and Spiderman. I think I like my superheroes a little troubled:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a very good film. I don't normally get to see much in actual cinemas, but in this case was glad I had.

      Bats and Supes - not sure. My personal jury is out on both as neither of them have ever been favourites of mine, but that could change :)

      Delete
  4. Now that you mention it, my Supporto Gal needs a raise. ;) I haven't seen the Avengers yet and it'll probably be out of the theatres by the time I think of going. Best seat in the house is in my livingroom anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a DVD watcher mostly as well. About to catch up on Thor in microvision, which could be entertaining. "Woah. Asgard's so small. Who knew?"

      Delete
  5. This past Saturday was my son's last baseball game of the season, and this is the final week of school, so we're briefly down to just gymnastics for both kids one day and ballet for my daughter on another, which means I get to catch my breath before summer camps begin.

    Utility Dad, away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Utility Dad and Support-Gal save the school run!

      A story that must be told.

      Delete
  6. Found you through Gina at Modern World's blog, so I came over to take a look at yours. I write mostly about Mythological poems, but I also like super-heroes too.
    I found your blog to be really interesting, and I'll be back for more!

    http://ladyofmuse.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome :) I'm so glad you found things to enjoy and will be paying a return visit very shortly.

      Delete