Wednesday 2 May 2012

Boots, hats and treasure

Heading to York this morning to collect multiple pairs of boots.  To be accompanied by super-talented ex-student so that we can discuss poster design.   Hopefully she can also map read as this place is somewhere in the middle of a field if Google Maps is correct.  There is considerable getting lost potential here, I feel.



On my return, I shall hurl myself into hat construction.  Squashy, vaguely renaissance hats are a huge boon to a largely female cast, half of whom are playing men.  Long hair is not awful for the period, but the fringes need to be off the faces.  Hence hats.  Luckily they are not hard to make and are a great way of using up fabric scraps.  Waste not want not.  And here I suddenly turn into my mother, whose favourite saying this was.

In gaming news, it's treasure time for the Lost City crew.  Half of them anyway.  This split party have been battling insects and arachnids for the last six weeks.  The team charged with taking down a huge spider queen and her spawn have succeeded.  Their treasure has been consumed by said spider over the course of her long career.  Apparantly.  I'm not sure any spider, however huge, can reasonably eat weaponry, but so says the module.  I'll roll with it.  If the party want to pick through spider entrails, that's fine by me. 

Stuff to gladden adventuring hearts

The other half of the party are still effecting regime change among the Trignotarbs.  Their task is somewhat harder, but I am confident that they too will be collecting a treasure bundle and some valuable, level-raising XP shortly.  They have an angel on standby to hoist them up and down the walls, so all should be well for them.  If they can avoid the healing sapping larvae.

8 comments:

  1. This all sounds like such fun, would love to take part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a fantastic play. Ridiculously operatic and that's how I've set it, with masses of underscoring.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Well, yes :D Almost exactly like that. They have an angel obsessed dwarf invoker who summons like a crazy summoning thing.

      Delete
  3. I'm with Carole. It does sound like a fun thing to take part in.

    You might consider some sort of netting or stretchy headband to pull the fringe back under the hat. And one always has days when they've morphed into their mother. So it goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good call on the hairbands. I'll pick some up tomorrow.

      I'm praying that they take on board my words of last week and pull out all stops tomorrow, but it should be a lot easier as they'll have their set up and their costumes on.

      Truth about mothers.

      Delete
  4. I don't know what kind of boots you're looking for in York but if you don't find your fancy, I suggest you drive to Brighton. I got the most amazing pair of black pleather high heel hooker boots there years ago.
    It's what, only a 200 mile drive or something.
    Worth every mile. Trust me. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More like 300 :D

      My sister lives down there and I know Brighton well. There used to be an amazing costume place just outside Hove where I got some battered showgirl costumes for Follies years ago.

      Delete